October 22, 2013
Today we’re excited to announce a multi-year partnership with global racing legend and action sports icon Ken Block! He’ll become a Racing Advisor on our team, giving us insight into what it takes to push the action and adrenaline of racing to new limits to help keep Need for Speed an amazing experience. Need for Speed is also sponsoring Block and his Ford Fiesta ST 2013 rally car and will work with him on the release of Gymkhana SIX, the next installment of the award-winning, record-breaking viral video series, via our Need for Speed You Tube channel.
A little more about Ken:
• ESPN has recognized Block as one of the most influentialaction sports athletes in the world.
• 2005 Rookie of the Year in the Rally America Championship.
• 19 overall North American rally wins and five X-Games medals.
• One of only four Americans to ever score points in the World Rally Championship.
• Global fame for his incredible skill, pushing the sport of rally into mainstream popularity through his wildly successful Gymkhana video series. (The first five videos have enjoyed more than 250 million views to date).
The next video in this series, Gymkhana SIX, is coming November 11 and will once again raise the bar for what can be done behind-the-wheel of a car.
Sharing his feelings on the partnership, “I feel like [Need for Speed and EA] both have the same goal in mind – to let people live out a fantasy of really pushing the limits of what you can do in the driver’s seat” said Ken. “We’re excited to show you how we’re taking things to a new level in Gymkhana SIX in just a few weeks.”
We checked in with Ghost Games to get their thoughts on the whole thing. “Ken’s a true master of drifting, handling, and really turning the streets into a playground for cars. We were already huge fans of his before, and we know he will be a great asset in helping us provide gamers the most adrenaline-filled and fun racing experience in the industry as we move forward.”
Check out pictures of the in-game livery, Ken, and Gym6 here.